Since our founding in 1984, Townspeople has embodied the notion that housing is health. Formed by a group of compassionate San Diegans in response to the HIV/AIDS epidemic, we provide access to housing and life-saving services for our community’s most vulnerable members including people living with HIV/AIDS and those experiencing homelessness. We envision a fully housed San Diego where everyone can live a healthy, safe, and dignified life. Our current focuses include:
- Affordable Housing. Townspeople owns and operates four affordable housing developments in San Diego, with a total of 118 homes.
- Rental Assistance. With support from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, annually we administer rental assistance to hundreds of households.
- Supportive Services. Our on and off-site supportive services include case management, crisis intervention, care coordination, housing navigation, and resource connections.
- Emergency Housing. In collaboration with local hotels and motels, Townspeople operates a year-round non-congregate emergency housing program for people living with HIV/AIDS who are also experiencing homelessness.
- Shared Housing. Together with Adjoin, Townspeople is working to design, implement, and scale a regional system for housemate matching and housing location for people experiencing homelessness in our community.